Russian Museum
Augmented Reality


Portrait of Erich Gollerbach. 1923

Golovin Alexander,
Tempera on canvas
84 х 75

State Russian Museum

Пост. в 1960 от А. Э. Голлербаха, Ленинград


Erich Fyodorovich Gollerbach (1895–1942): Art historian, art critic, poet. Founding member of the Society of Graphic Artists in Leningrad (1928–32).
Erich Gollerbach wrote the first independent monograph on Alexander Golovin (written in 1922 and published in 1928). He also helped Golovin to compile his book Meetings and Impressions, edited the first edition (1940), compiled a list of works by the artist and wrote a series of articles on his oeuvre. Himself an excellent draughtsman, Gollerbach put together the first anthology of poems dedicated to Anna Akhmatova. He was also an expert on Detskoe Selo and wrote the first book on the town (Town of Muses). Portrait of Erich Gollerbach is one of Golovin’s best works of the 1920s.

Author's Biography

Golovin Alexander

Golovin, Alexander Yakovlevich
1863, Moscow - 1930, Detskoe Selo (Leningrad Region)
Theatrical designer, painter, graphic artist. Studied under Illarion Pryanishnikov and Vasily Polcnov at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1881-89) and at the Academic de Filippo Colarossi (1889) and Academie Witti (1897) in Paris. Academician (1912). Member of the World of Art (1902) and the Union of Russian Artists (1903). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1893, 1895), Moscow Fellowship of Artists (1894, 1901-02), World of Art (1899-1903, 1906, 1911-12, 1924), Union of Russian Artists (1903-09, 1916), New Society of Artists (1907, 1908), Expositions Universelles in Paris (1900; gold and silver medals) and Brussels (1910), Esposizione Internazionale in Venice (1907) and Rome (1911) and the Exhibitions of Russian Art in Paris (1906) and Berlin (1906). Designed for the Bolshoi Theatre and Moscow Arts Theatre in Moscow, Mariinsky and Alexandrinsky Theatres in Si Petersburg and Sergei Diaghilev''s Saisons Russes (1908,1910).

© Russian museum 2013-2024